The VHF/SRC course is 1 day course which is held in our dedicated classroom using two fully operational radios and is essential for everyone!! It is also required to upgrade from the “old” VHF restricted license. We will provide you with the VHF/SRC handbook and an introductory information letter prior to taking the course to familiarise yourself with the course content. The VHF/SRC license has no expiry date and once you sit for the exam you will be issued with a temporary pass valid for 28 days until you receive the license from the RYA which normally takes about 21 days.
This is a A Brief Description of what the course covers.
- The basics of radio operation
- The correct frequencies (channels) to be used
- Distress, URGENCY and medical assistance procedures
- Making ship to shore telephone calls
- Digital Selective Calling (DSC) using simulators
- Global Maritime Distress and Safety System (GMDSS)
- Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacons (EPIRB)
- Search and Rescue Transponder (SART)