Day Skipper Practical (Sail)
Starting 9.30am on the first day, at 9am on the following days, finishing at 5pm daily, except for one day, where we will be starting 10.30am and finishing by 9.30pm (winter)/ starting 11am and finishing by 11pm (summer) weather permitting
Upcoming Course Dates:
DAY SKIPPER PRACTICAL
Included in the price:
- Accommodation on the boat from Monday night to Thursday night – we provide fresh linen and 1 towel
- Breakfast and Lunch daily – lunch is homemade by a family member!
- Dinner when not in home port (we usually spend one night in Mgarr Marina in Gozo, and on another night we return back to home port late to cover some night sailing, both weather permitting)
- Fuel and mooring fees
- RYA Day Skipper Practical Sail certificate upon successful completion of the course
Minimum age: 16
Ratio of students is 1 – maximum 4.
The 5 days include RYA instruction by a fully qualified RYA instructor.
On this course we take a mix of Competent Crew and Day Skipper students (as approved by the RYA), you will come together as a team to enjoy a week of sailing!
You should have the necessary level of skill required for Day Skipper theory prior to the course; if not we have the following options:
- A 10 day combination course covering forty hours delivered in our classroom at our shore based centre in Gzira followed by 5 days practical on board our training yacht
Online! This is delivered by our partner company, Sailing Course Online, who are a RYA Recognised Training Centre specialising in online training. The course content is specifically delivered for an online experience, with bite-sized modules, regular auto-marked tests, and full support from the instructors at Sailing Course Online whenever you need them.
- We also provide evening classes spread over 3 evenings throughout the month of January
From our base in Marsamxetto Harbour we will be sailing around the Maltese Archipelago including the picturesque sister Islands of Comino and Gozo (weather permitting).
There will also be plenty of time to go ashore in the evenings to relax and spend time visiting historical landmarks and having the opportunity of tasting local cuisine.
On completion of the Day Skipper Practical course you will be able to skipper a yacht in familiar waters by day. Our instructors will teach you yacht handling under power and sail, a working knowledge of collision regulations, sail setting and much much more.
Curious to see our boat? Hop on this 360degree tour and have a look for yourself!
RECOMMENDED ESSENTIAL ITEMS TO BRING WITH YOU
- Travel light – no hard cases with wheels please
- Towel for swimming
- Sunblock, sun hat & sunglasses
- Deck or soft shoes
- Warm fleece for the evenings
- Wash kit
- Comfortable sailing clothing
- Travel Insurance recommended
ON COMPLETION OF THE COURSE YOU WILL HAVE MASTERED:
Preparing a yacht for sea, Deck work, Navigation, Pilotage, Meteorology, Rules of the Road, Maintenance and repair work, basic engine maintenance such as checking oil and water filters, Victualing, Emergency situations, Yacht handling under power, Yacht handling under sail, Passage planning and Night Cruising.
Next Step: RYA Coastal Skipper Course
Take the plunge! Book this course now.
Should you require more information or if you would like to book this course, please do not hesitate to get in touch.